Sunday, September 15, 2013

Catchin' Up In Memphis

Yours Truly was just reminiscing on her first year in Memphis.  I cannot believe I've been here for 1 year!  Actually, 1 year and 44 days but you get the picture.  What a year of adventure it's been!

Since my last blog of March 16 when we celebrated St. Patrick's day, let me recap some of the adventures I've had the pleasure of enjoying!
April found me enjoying my first concert at The Orpheum Theatre.  I had the pleasure of listening to Boz Skaggs with the Lovely Clare Pillow-Myers.  She has become truly dear to me and a wonderful friend indeed.  I often tell her and anyone who will listen that I'm not sure if my experience in Memphis would have been what is has been had I not met her on my very first day of work.  It's almost like she was just there...waiting for Yours Truly to move to Memphis so she could befriend me!

Also in April, I had the pleasure of volunteering to work at the FedEx Family House Gala at The Peabody.  This was a very dressy event and I was in the company of some lovely ladies and friends from work.  Edna Gaia, Carmen Cayode-Johynson, The Lovely Clare, and Carol Gardner.  We had a great time and it was an awesome event!  I hope to be selected to work again next year!
May brought us the Memphis In May activities!  This is a month long event...chock full of music, food, art, and FUN!!!  I had the pleasure of getting to see 2 of my fave-o-rite fellow Bearcats, John Pritchett and long long long time friend Laura Ann Aslakson.  They came for the BBQ weekend and man-oh-man did we have fun!!!  Rick and John spent some "guy time" while the ladies set out our own.  But let me say...the laughter started pretty much they pulled into the parking lot at the Casa Del West En El Rio in the rented bright red Mustang that Laura was driving!!

I also had the pleasure of making a trip home to Shertown in May.  The primary reason?  Why, to surprise my sweet Momma on her birthday, which fell on Memorial Dray, and of course to see my Texas Girls!!!  The first stop on the way was to the Nuss Retreat & Spa in Winnsboro.  I got to spend the entire day with Lori Nuss and the evening with Lori & Russ.  We decided that evening that Lori surely needed to head to Shertown with me!  So, bright and early that Saturday morning, away we went!   I got to spend the day seeing SO MANY of my wonderful friends!  It did this girls heart good!!

The birthday for my Mom and surprising her to boot went off without a hitch!!!  I got to spend a lovely day with my Mom, sweet daughter Ari, sisters, brother-in-laws and various nieces and nephews! 





May came to a close and we welcomed Summer to Bluff City!!  Several fun things went on and one of them was a fun evening spent at the Memphis Botanical Gardens listening to Mr. Tony Bennett! 

Also in June, Clare and I were pleasantly surprised to learn that our photo had made the.....no, not the cover of the Rolling Stone but the Memphis equivalent  - RSVP magazine, which is THE "socialite" magazine about town!  This has been a long time mission for Clare, I learned, and she was pretty much a lot more excited about it than Yours Truly, but hey....I have to admit I was a little excited!!

July arrived and it was unusually mild for the month.  West and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary on July 10.  We were fortunate enough to make a much needed trip to Ft. Myers, Florida and visit the beautiful Sanibel & Captiva Islands!!!  We relaxed, ate some wonderful food, heard some good music, West deep sea fished, and Yours Truly floated in the glorious sun, drank sangria from dawn to dusk and read about 6 books!! 

August in Memphis....and it finally began to heat up!  I was blessed with a wonderful visit from 2 of my very dear friends, Dana Dowell Speed and Lori Nuss!  We had a WONDERFUL visit!  They became regulars at Double J's, we wondered all up and down Main Street.  They arrived on Trolley Art Tour night so they go to experience that! It was a most delightful visit!!
August also found Yours Truly enjoying a most glorious Saturday afternoon drinking Mimosa's with the beautiful Lucinda Nuesch Sanders on her rooftop.  She's been a treasure as well and I enjoy the time we get to spend together! August also brought me a wonderful treat....a visit from my #1 son Dax and Chris Jackson!  We had a great time!!  It was so good to spend some quality 1-on-1 time with my favorite boy in the whole world!  We walked and explored, talked and had a few cold beverages, and talked some more!!!  It was a wonderful weekend!!!

Another monumental event occurred on August 22.....Yours Truly got the metal removed from her mouth and revealed her new smile after 15 months!!!!  Yes, this was a HAPPY DAY for YT!!!  I have to admit I've found it hard to stop smiling ever since!!!  I also dealt with the old lady hair that had been growing for quite some time...and it was bringing me DOWN...so it got colored, cut & styled!!!  Yours Truly is back and feeling mighty sassy these days!!!

And now.....that brings us to the glorious month of September!  One of my 2 favorite months of the year, the other being October.  I've always loved the weather...the blue of the sky, I guess the hint of fall in the air.  We started out with some wonderful visitors....the lovely Jonna  Blair Brown and her equally wonderful husband, Bruce Brown.  They came and
spent Labor Day Weekend and we had a really great visit!!!  


I also co-hosted a 50th birthday party to my dear, sweet friend Clare and her twin Julie!  It was going to be a pool party but since someone left the gates of hell open, we decided to do it in her apartment!!  That apartment was full of smiles, laughter, great food and lots of good times that evening for sure!!!



September brought us the Delta Fair and in keeping with tradition, Uncle Rick and Aunt Lisa took the niece and nephew, Eleanor and Townes, to the fair.  Now, keep in mind that Uncle Rick picked THE HOTTEST day of the summer thus far for this little adventure but we were troopers!!!



We also attended Zoo Rendezvous this month.  This is an annual fund raiser for the Memphis Zoo, which is one of the best zoos in the country.  It was just another night to dress up a little, spend time with friends, meet some new people, eat, drink and be merry!!!  We met up with the beautiful Val Mercado and a fella she was with and walked around most of the evening with them!  Again, those gates to hell were stuck open and it was so hot....not a breeze to be found....but we survived! I personally believe that between the Delta Fair and Zoo Rendezvous...I sweated out every bad thing I might have eaten or had to drink for about 2 weeks!!

So that pretty much catches me up for the year!  There has been a ton of things that didn't make this episode but just believe that there have not been many dull moments!!! 

As always, remember to be nice to one another, and tell the people you love how much you love them! Until next time, Love, Yours Truly.























No comments:

Post a Comment